About Bayside Initiatives Group Inc.
Since 2000, BIG has been supporting mental health consumers throughout the Redland and Bayside areas by offering one-on-one and group peer support, advocating on behalf of our members, encouraging participation in positive social networks and community events, and most importantly, providing a welcoming sanctuary where members can feel safe and included.
Bayside Initiatives Group aims to:
- Help you identify your interests, strengths an passions to enable you to reach your potential in life;
- Offer a variety of fun, empowering and therapeutic programs focused on positive mental health outcomes;
- Help you to understand your rights as a mental health consumer;
- Offer consumers with pathways and projects that improve mental health services.
- Help you to develop positive social networks, make friends and feel less isolated.
Members have the opportunity to participate in a variety of initiatives to address mental health issues, including:
- Professional development for health service personnel;
- Representing BIG in health and disability organisations;
- Mental health presentations in the public and private sectors.
- Promotional and awareness campaigns targeted towards mental health consumers and the general public.
During the year BIG participates in community events including:
- Thrive By The Bay
- The Bay Islands Multicultural Festival
- Mental Health Forums
- Redlands Spring Festival
- Mental Health Week
– Some facts –
- One person in five will experience mental health issues in their life time.
- There are different types of mental health issues, different causes and different types of treatment.
- Some people will experience mental health issues just once, for others it may be recurrent, while some experience long-term symptoms.
- Mental health issues can cause distress and challenges for the person experiencing it, as well as their family, friends and colleagues.
- Help is available; ask your local doctor, mental health service, psychologist or psychiatrist.